Sunday, January 17, 2016

Class Overview


I plan to read the second version of the Ramayana. The online availability of the second option was the main influence for the decision because I will be able to do the assignment anywhere with no need to go to the library. 

The image below interests me because of the story I think it might tell. But other than this picture most of the other content of the class was very foreign to me but I am excited to learn what I like.





Khandoba and Mhalsa
killing demons Mani-Malla
Lithograph by Ravi Varma Press



1 comment:

  1. Oh, I am so glad you picked that image, Sara: Khandoba and Mhalsa are local versions of the gods Shiva and his wife Parvati who are famous as demon-fighters! You will see lots of demon-fighting in the Ramayana, and if you want to learn more about Khandoba, there is a wonderful video by the Indian author Devdutt Pattanaik who talks about Khandoba and Mhalsa; that's something you might want to watch at some point (I am a big fan of Devdutt Pattanaik; we have a lot of his books available in the Library too!): Hindu Calendar Art: Ganesha's Secret (which includes the story of Khandoba)

    ReplyDelete